Day 78-83. 31st Jan-5th February

Monday this week marked a significant day in my journey so far as it was exactly a year to the day that I was taken into hospital with suspected Meningitis. It had been weighing heavily on me in the run up to it and over the weekend ( once again, when I have more time to think) rather than ignore it we talked about how this big day was going to impact on me. It made me reflect on the year and question what had happened and why. Truth is there is no why and even if there was, what can knowing change?

I decided that the best thing to do was class Monday as my last day of the year that took me from my home and family but the first day of the year that is going to bring me home.πŸ™‚

Also on Monday I was lucky enough to meet with Caroline Coster, a fellow Quad amputee whose story inspired us to seek out the help of the rehab unit at Roehampton. Caroline was an enormous help and gave me a realistic insight into what a return to my home life had in store for me. Daunting as that future might be, the quicker I complete the targets and goals that rehabilitation sets for me, the quicker I’ll return to my friends and family.

The target for this week was for me to learn to stand unaided on my sticks instead of the pulpit and if possible, try to take my first steps walking with sticks. Unfortunately my sticks needed some fine tuning so the only thing to do in the meantime was to exercise and build my core strength. 

It was Wednesday before I finally got a chance to practice with the sticks and it took all of my strength and balance to get myself standing upright but when I did for the first time it felt incredible. I was stood up straight on my own!


Afterwards I was shattered but elated. I realised however that it left me with very little time left to reach my weekly target of taking my first steps. On Thursday I gained a little more confidence in standing and tried taking steps to the side but it felt like I was  trying to drag them through mud. 

On Friday we started off thinking we would just build on the standing upright from the day before but with the encouragement of the team we decided to go for it.



A great first week of the year that will see me walking back into my own home πŸ¦ΏπŸ¦ΎπŸ™‚

Comments

  1. Aye, good stuff there Allison.... hard going but you're coming on great. We'll see you soon back home.... Keep going chic, love from King Slonzirelli and Anita xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another brilliant week Allison, you'll be home soon. X

    ReplyDelete
  3. You’re doing brilliant keep up the great work you will soon be home where you belong xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You’re doing brilliant keep up the great work you will soon be home where you belong xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a brilliant start to the first week of this new year and it's wonderful to see your strength and determination paying off. Not long now till you are back home, UNSTOPPABLE !!!!! XXXπŸ’«✨πŸ§‘πŸ’šπŸ¦ΎπŸ¦Ώ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow now this feels like a transformational moment
    I can see it in your eyes your stance and you are radiating determination can feel it all the way up here on durham
    Go girl you most certainly are on your way we are delighted for you and one hundred per cent alingosed you πŸ’•Mary Karen and Jake 😘

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic work Allison - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. well done Allison, you have come so far now and it is clear that you are one determined lady, you go for it, fantastic efforts xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June - October 2023

April - June 2023

March 2023