June - October 2023

Well what a busy couple of months!

Having returned from honeymoon, we just kept up the momentum and packed in a load of activities from concerts to comedy shows, day trips and overnighters, disability exhibitions and research groups. 

All the while we kept saying to each other “ooh we must put this on the blog” or “ do you think people would be interested in this?” But before we had chance to start the next post, we were off onto something else!

This all sounds really quite grand doesn’t it but it’s not quite as hectic as you might think because in between each activity is a recovery period where I’m incapable of doing anything other than sleeping. My energy levels run out very very quickly and I constantly work on a Boom and Bust cycle. Then there’s the build up and preparation for the next challenge or adventure. 


After being fortunate enough to still be here after my brush with Sepsis, I felt I had a responsibility to raise awareness of being vigilant for the signs of Sepsis. I also felt, and still do, that the everyday experiences of the disabled in general and amputees in particular aren’t widely appreciated or necessarily understood. My hope is that the blog goes some way to address both. 

That said, I have been given a second chance at life and, with David by my side, I want to enjoy and experience as much as I can. 

Will it be easy? Almost certainly not. Will it be different to before? Well somethings might and some might not. But will it be worth the effort? Absolutely!


When I originally started the blog, it was with some of the aims mentioned above. It was titled “I’m on my way back home” and was intended to chart my progress as I left hospital after 14 months and adapted to living once more in an uncontrolled environment without 24 hour medical attention. I wanted to show the challenges and chart my rehabilitation journey. 

Do I think that journey is at an end? Not by any means. There are still so many things I can’t do for myself. Preparing my own meals, conducting some aspects of my own personal care. Even prepping and taking my medication myself. But I do feel finally that I have made it home and I hope the blog reflects that. 

If so, then I think the blog will have served its purpose and made its way to its own natural conclusion and with that in mind I am making this the final instalment. 


I’m now about to grab the bull by the horns and make the most of life. I’ll still be getting involved with various support groups and participating in research and study groups. But more excitingly, we have took the plunge, plundered our pension plans and have bought ourselves a 17 year old Motorhome with the intention of spending the kid’s inheritance haha. 

I’m not sure just how accessible Motorhoming is but we’re excited to find out. I’ll try chronicling our travels and experiences at our destinations and can hopefully jot them down sat at the dining table in Jo-Jo ( yes, that’s what we’ve named our Moho). 



Not sure what  interest it will be to people, what we’ll call it or even what format it’ll take, either blog or vlog or maybe just Facebook posts but we’ll let you know via my current social media. 


In the meantime, here are some of our recent memories from this stage of our lives. 




Thanks to everyone who has got me to where I am today and for everyone who took a minute out of their  busy lives ( okay, more than a minute for some of the posts ðŸ˜‚) to read or comment on my thoughts and antics. I am truly grateful. 


Comments

  1. Well done keep it up xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please keep posting somehow as it’s lovely to hear your antics, take care xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you 😊. We’re hoping we can let everyone know how we get on and what we are up to. Once we know how we will try and let everyone know x

      Delete
  3. Always so good to keep up with your news Allison. As always you are unstoppable and just love the motor home plan. Good on you both. Enjoy every minute it will be such fun. Hope to catch up with you both one day. Julie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. Look forward to seeing you when we can. X

      Delete
  4. Appreciate for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for writing this blog you have raised so much awareness on so many different challenges you have had to face. Wishing you & David the very best together xx look forward to hearing more about your adventures ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

April - June 2023

March 2023