March 2023

 Hello all. Just a very brief update this time ( don’t I say that every time?😂)

March is a very special month for me as it is the month that I was discharged from hospital, finally coming home after almost 14 months . Inevitably, that anniversary always makes me reflect on the massive changes that homecoming brought and my progress in that time.

It’s 2 years since my rehabilitation in my home environment started proper and I can’t help feeling that I should be further on than I am, doing bigger and better things than I do. We took a holiday in Fuertaventura and we spent a lot of time talking about it. I say it’s 2 years since I came out of hospital but David says it’s ONLY two years since I came out of hospital. I’m obviously a little more impatient than he is. And as we realised, there we were on a foreign holiday discussing what I should and shouldn’t be doing. Somewhere I could never have seen myself being when I first came home.

So what’s holding me back? What’s preventing me from climbing mountains and jumping out of planes to raise awareness? I know that I have physical limitations but what makes me disabled? Does my not having hands and feet or being a wheelchair user make me less able to do certain things ( obviously, I hear you thinking) or is it that the environment and facilities around me aren’t sufficient or suitable enough to enable me to do things?

Now stick with me here because this isn’t a militant disability activist rant or a poor me cry. It’s a conversation David and I had while we were away prompted by an episode of Desert island discs with actress Liz Carr from Silent Witness. It’s a very entertaining and, for us, thought provoking interview. I won’t pick apart our whole conversation about it but I’ll include the link to let you hear for yourselves and form your own thoughts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001k7ks?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

Liz makes some excellent points and gave us a little more perspective on what it is that limits my abilities to enjoy everyday things. In truth, it’s a multitude of things. How I’m feeling. Where I am in my healing process as well as what facilities are around me. Not an easy one to nail down really. 

So, in the meantime, I’m going to concentrate on things that do enable me. I’m determined to walk down the aisle without sticks on my wedding day and the only way to do that is to keep improving my core strength. Only five weeks to go so Leila is pushing me hard at Pilates. 😓


Wedding plans coming along at quite a pace now so hopefully my next blog will be a chance to share some of the big day with you all 🙂. Until then, take care all. 

Comments

  1. Perfectly said Allison,🌸💚 this journey is not about climbing mountains or jumping out of planes, it about learning to manage everyday situations and relearning life skills, which to be fair, the rest of us generally take for granted.
    You are doing fine me luvly, one step at a time , uve, got this xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful.....big day needs to be your priority. Extensive photography required!!! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Progress .progress .progress is all I am reading here
    No matter how big or small the achievement is it's all progress
    Stay focused and working together that makes you unstoppable xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You certainly are a very inspirational lady, I have nothing but admiration for you , I find it hard going as a dbk and loss of fingers but we are determined ladies to live a life as we should and on this journey in the amputee world we find we can do much more than we ever thought possible. Keep going , keep fighting , keep getting stronger you will do all your achievements when your ready .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous as always. Looking forward to the wedding blog update. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its all about progress Allison no marter how big or small and I've no doubt you'll achieve all your goaks no matter how big or small they are...keep going and i hope you and David have a fabulous wedding day, all the very best to you both x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your positivity and determination will enable you to walk down the aisle without your sticks i have every faith in you 🥰knowing you Allison you can do this and you will have the biggest smile on your face 😘congratulations on yours and davids 🥂i hope you a beautiful wedding day ♥️look forward to seeing photographs of the happy couple ♥️♥️

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward to seeing wedding pictures, I think you are doing amazing, go at your own pace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June - October 2023

April - June 2023