Home Days 158-201 28th Aug - 9th October 2021

 7 weeks since my last post!…Were you wondering where I’d gone or were you just glad of the rest lol πŸ˜‚ 

Lots happened since the last blog and so many times we’ve tried to sit down to update you all, but things just get in the way. We always said that one of the aims of the blog was to reflect the reality of being an everyday amputee. Well one of the realities is just how challenging it is to keep on top of everything. Not just for you as the amputee but for your loved ones as well.

As you all know, David helps me with the blog and we try to make the time to sit down and log my/ our thoughts. But as we all come blinking out into the light of a Post-Covid “new normal” world, that involves  him being back at work doing 12 hour shifts with an hour commute either side. I’ve already explained our need to dial back the hours we can afford for the Carers to come in , so David picks up the shortfall. 

This is by no means a unique situation and is one that’s repeated across countless households where , through lack of funding, family carers pick up the gaps in current social care provision. I don’t want to use the blog as a political platform so I won’t argue the rights or wrongs of this. I merely wanted to reflect a reality faced by so many families living with a loved one  with long term conditions and disabilities. 

He never complains ( well not much anyway πŸ˜‰) but I do worry about him and can’t help but feel responsible, no matter how many times he tells me I’m not.

Right..on to the positive stuff! πŸ™‚…In September we made our way down to Burton on Trent to visit Dorset orthopaedic Clinic. There, we met with James who sat me down and talked me through the pros and cons of various Myo-electric or Bionic arms. It was so interesting and gave us a much clearer view of what we needed to be looking at to give me a five year plan for provision of a high functioning and practical Bionic limb. The range of cost is mind boggling. We’re talking  Eye watering amounts, but at least we know what the reality is if that is the route we plan to go down.

One of the other benefits was that I stayed in a hotel for the first time since my amputations. I was so nervous but we researched the facilities and I have to admit, Holiday inn Express provided an excellent Accesible room. The wet room was very well designed with ample room and all of the aids I could have wanted. I felt so comfortable and the weather was so good that I persuaded David to stay over an extra day!

My rehabilitation continues and I’m trying to do more and more for myself, from rearranging the layout of  our kitchen so that I can make myself hot drinks and snacks, to buying exercise equipment to build my strength at home. My Physiotherapist Gill and her team continue to use their experience, skill and ingenuity to find ways of safely getting me onto Multi-gym equipment. They motivate me to push myself and have even managed to get me on the exercise bikeπŸ™‚. My feet are strapped in and as long as my legs don’t drop off, I can happily pedal away.🦿




https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM8eHxrCN/


And finally. Yesterday marked a massive milestone, when I was finally able to stand on my own two ( prosthetic) legs and visit my surrogate family, the Staff of Ward 35 at James Cook hospital πŸ™‚. It was November last year when I was wheeled off the unit and taken down to Roehampton for further rehabilitation. What a difference 12 months makes and it wasn’t without its share of tears..and that was just David!



I can never thank them all enough and I know that they continue to be there for me as I face further surgeries and revisions. Standing with them yesterday brought home just how lucky I was to have them as my medical team and how blessed I am to be able to call them friends 

                                                          https://gofund.me/40baa474

Comments

  1. James is my prosthetist at Burton too, and yes - the accessible rooms at Holiday Inn Express are really good. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the question marks. They were supposed to be smiley emojis.

      Delete
  2. You never fail to amaze me in terms of the progress you continue to make in spite of all the challenges of the environmental factors that at times work against you the people in the NHS are fab but the beauracracy is far from perfect. That said you and David are a brilliant team and together you conquer the world.. I know it πŸ’•πŸ˜˜upwards and onwards you are both amazing xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are willing to, tell the story of your recovery "warts and all", no hiding the pain , struggle and the every day problems you are both experiencing both together as a couple and as individuals.
    You should be extremely proud of the progress you have made.
    Continue channeling all your energy into regaining your independence Allison, you have travelled a long way down your recovery road, who would of thought in 12 months youd be hoying weights about at the gym 🀣.
    So proud of you both 😘UNSTOPPABLE!!!!!πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pleased you are recovering well. Please note, the Hero Arm costs can be found here: https://openbionics.com/how-much-does-the-hero-arm-cost/ and we have a full funding success team that allocates grants/ donations to help individuals covers funds needed for a myo. If you'd like to have a chat, feel free to pop your info here and Liz can give you a quick call: https://openbionics.com/get-a-hero-arm/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June - October 2023

April - June 2023

March 2023