Days 81-108. June 12-July 9th

 Well after my decision last month that I had to become more independent, I have spent the last four weeks working towards that. I am gradually trying to build my strength and balance, moving from walking with two sticks to walking with one, and just once or twice, a few faltering steps with none!πŸ™‚

I received the attachments for my adapted Koalaa mitt and was able to pick up a mug and drink one handed without a straw. It may seem small but it was sooooo satisfying 


Following on from that, we had a zoom meeting with Nate and Elena from https://www.yourkoalaa.com/to discuss how things were going with the new sleeve. The guys honestly couldn’t be more invested in what works for me and were more than generous in their advice and offer to help me obtain a Mitt for my left arm. Speaking with these two, you simply can’t come away not feeling part of a community.πŸ™‚ A left arm Mitt Will hopefully allow me to cut up my own food while eating. Currently, David cuts through it then reassembles it so that it doesn’t look like a plate of cut up chunks.

Speaking of community, I am a member of a number of support groups on Facebook. Some are in links on the side bar but others I can list are The Quad squad, The limbless association, Armless amputees. The list goes on and these are a great forum for sharing experiences and ideas on how to live an independent life. I was able to share some video of me putting on my legs which hopefully gave others another perspective on how things can be done. 

I’ve also recently found a game changing line of underwear that I can finally put on and take off myself! These are from Marks & Spencer’s   #m&s . They are called Flexifit and have enough give to allow me to stretch my arms into them. They also don’t look like Granny wear ( well my Granny never wore anything like that πŸ™‚)

https://www.marksandspencer.com/flexifit-crop-top-bralet/p/clp60438341?color=BLACK&prevPage=srp#intid=prodColourId-60438342

Once again, the freedom to simply dress yourself or take yourself to the toilet is massively underrated!

And the easing of lockdown has enabled me to get out more and enjoy meeting up with people. I was able to meet up with the magnificent Steven Blakelock who, despite his own mobility challenges, set up a Gofundme  150 miles for Allison  . It was lovely to finally meet Steve face to face and join him for some of the final steps of his challenge πŸ™‚πŸ¦ΏπŸ¦Ύ   https://gofund.me/320da708 .





One dark cloud on the horizon this month has been the panel decision on the funding for my ongoing care. My social worker thinks we have got a result in us being liable for only  40% of the costs, but with this leaving us with a bill of nearly £1300 a month not only do I not want to be reliant on others, I simply can’t afford to be!

I’ve no choice but to ask them to trim back some elements of the care package they had come up with which  I’m afraid,  puts more work back on to David’s shoulders and more pressure on me to rehabilitate quicker. 

Finishing on a couple of positive notes, I had my appointment with the prosthetist to have my leg sockets recast. They also took the opportunity to alter the fit on my Split hooks.



This will help massively as once the legs are fitting correctly and the arms are more comfortable to use, I can push myself a little further and a little harder. 

And finally ( honest πŸ˜‚) we did an interview with BBC Radio Tees that is expected to go out on their mid morning show some time between 10-10.30am this coming Monday. Gary Philipson put us totally at ease and it felt just like a chat with an old friend. Hopefully this helps raise a wider awareness of sepsis and meningitis🀞

https://gofund.me/c393e5cf

Tiktok @msfriday0


Comments

  1. every day you overcome another challenge , never shying away ,always being brave enough to give things a go - this is not just any woman this is the marksys flexi knicker wearing woman ms allison friday - whoo hoo - keep at it - proud to have you in our family thats for sure xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June - October 2023

April - June 2023

March 2023