Home. Day 41-54. May -16th

 Well it’s been quite a while since the last update (“Thank goodness!” I hear some of you cry 😂) ...but it’s been an extremely busy and tiring couple of weeks

Early last year, when prosthetics services were suspended in our area, David found a fabulous company https://www.yourkoalaa.com/ who provide affordable and practical solutions for those with upper limb differences. We were able to sort one of their Mitts for me but I really got very little opportunity to use it while I was in hospital. When I came home, I found it no longer fitted as my arm shape and condition had changed so much. We contacted them and the guys there totally redesigned mine and what a difference it has made!


I honestly can’t describe the feeling of being able to do simple things such as brush my own hair and sign my name 😀. I’m using it more and more for mealtimes but have to admit that without having a wrist to rotate it’s a bit of an acquired skill.

I also managed to finally have my hair cut. Superficial as it may sound, I hated the way it looked and it was stopping me from wanting to see people. Thanks to the wonderful Kayleigh Owens who took the time to come to the house and sort it out for me. Despite never having met each other before, and I’m guessing me being Kayleigh’s first Quad amputee client, I felt totally at ease. It was a lovely experience and I couldn’t be happier with the result 🙂

I’d recommend Kayleigh to everyone and you can follow her on Instagram @hairby_kayleigh_x

You may remember that I’d recently been introduced to the Sepsis trust. Well I was also contacted via the Gofundme page by Claire Donovan from Meningitisnow.com  Claire was able to let me know of the fantastic work they do in supporting the survivors and families of those affected by Meningitis and extended an offer of that support to us.  Please take a look at their page and familiarise yourselves with what to look out for. It may literally save someone’s life.

We have been busy working with everyone in Social and Health care training Carers. They have been learning how to put on and take off my prosthetics and how to assist me in my personal care. With David going back to work very soon, this will be essential although we still don’t know who will end up footing the bill for it 🤔🤷🏼‍♀️

And sorry to bang on about it but once again, the kindness of others never fails to blow me away. We have a number of fundraisers underway supporting the Gofundme page  https://gofund.me/c57412fa and have passed our halfway target mark! Thank you so much 😊 

As a result we have been able to buy a folding motorised wheelchair which means I am finally able to get out for longer with David in the car. We tried shopping last week but it was so tiring and I only managed to walk as far as the Chocolate aisle 😂. This week, with the help of the chair I was able to zip around and swap between walking and riding. Lovely to make my way around shops again although after having almost taken out a Knicker display, I still have some practicing to do on close manoeuvring 🙄.



Comments

  1. Hey getting there kidda, every day looks like it's a better one (not the weather though, unfortunately). Hair looks good too, 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. That last one was from me......King Slonzirelli

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June - October 2023

April - June 2023

March 2023