Home. Days 8-13. 1-5th April

 Before I say anything about what I’ve done this week, I have to start with what you have all done.You have overwhelmed me with your support and generosity!

Can I thank each and every one of you who has donated or shared the Gofundme page kindly set up by Sam. To raise the money it has in such a short time and , just as crucially, generate over 500 shares is phenomenal and I am truly grateful. The sharing has allowed me to connect with other amputees and Sepsis survivors, which in itself opens up another tier of support and shared experiences. 

So in comparison, what have I done?...Well after 9 days I finally emptied my bags and suitcase from the transfer home. Admittedly the clothes that were in them did spend another day or so on what I’m informed by my stepdaughter is a Floordrobe but it’s a start 🙂👍

It’s been a hectic week with a constant round of daily visits by the district nurses, meetings with OT, Physiotherapy and my Social worker, reconnecting with my local GP surgery and taking delivery of more equipment  but it’s allowed us to take stock and make firm plans for my ongoing care, rehabilitation and recovery.

I’m finding that although I am supposed to be resting my wounds and laying on my side most of the time, the simple pleasure of being able to ask David to help me put on my legs and actually go to the toilet is too wonderful not to take advantage of and consequently, I must be up and down half a dozen times a day.  (I may be over sharing here I think 🤔)

What’s surprising is just how extremely tiring doing even the most basic things is, not that I’m complaining. I can go from absolutely fine to totally shattered in the blink of an eye.

I’m also slowly coming to terms with actually being home. The fear ( yes, I finally said it!) is starting to give way to periods of familiarity and contentment, although my days are still full of worry and frustration. We aren’t in a position to receive any assistance with daily care yet and I worry that David will exhaust himself trying to cover everything. He assures me he’s up to the job but, well, he would say that wouldn’t he?

And this weekend was rounded off by a finally allowed garden visit from David’s family ( or as they insist, my family🙂). It was bright sunshine but blowing a Gale that made it quite chilly, but with the help of blankets and warm conversation we were fine. Sam told me how nervous she was to see me “ in the flesh” for the first time since the amputations and I have to admit it was a nerve wracking for me too but in the end it was just relaxed and natural. Like it always was. 

I even got to swap shorts and a t-shirt for some grown up clothes !🙂










https://gofund.me/85a83064

Comments

  1. Well done Allison. I empathise with your concerns re David but, as my husband keeps reminding me, he will just be so pleased you are here and glad to spend as much time as he can with you. It sounds like things are going well - take all the help you can get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was fab to see you again allison because your friend isn't wrong the outcome could have been very different
    How did it happen god knows but what we do know you are here and we are here so together there's nothing that we cannot acheive
    Will it be easy hell no but we can do challenging together and that lightens the load
    Keep at it bit at a time because even the smallest achievement is priceless
    Treat this like a project you do that so well plan and you will undoubtedly hit that deadline you set yourself
    I've never known you fail why would now be any different
    Upward and onward we are all around you 😍🥰xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June - October 2023

April - June 2023

March 2023