Day 64-69. Jan 17-22nd

 Things seem to have gathered pace this week with lots of ups and one very literal down.

A great start to Monday when I found out during my dressing change that my right backside was almost fully healed and would soon be dressing free ๐Ÿ™‚. This is great news as these wounds have been hampering my progress on so many levels.

Later in the gym after managing a 20 metre walk with the pulpit, we finished of the session with the team setting me a challenge. There is a corridor that they had measured as being 50 metres long. They wanted to gauge my progress and set my onward goals by asking me to see how far along I could make on my own. Well that was me! I set off with my eyes fixed firmly on the end of the corridor. By midway I was starting to struggle and by the end I was hanging on to the pulpit for dear life with my feet going off in all directions but I completed the full 50 metres! The team were really pleased and as well as being able to gauge my strength we were able to assess things like placement of my feet and legs while walking.

On Tuesday I had further fittings for my hook arms along with additional measurements for my walking sticks before heading back down to the gym for a good 1 to 1 Core strength session. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed Pilates and afterwards was left feeling that I could realistically see myself getting back to it when I go home๐Ÿ™‚. We followed this up with lots more practicing of getting up from sitting to standing. 

Wednesday saw more arm fittings and exercise sessions. I completed a good session concentrating on glutes followed by yet more practicing seated to standing along with reaching exercises to improve my mobility and balance.



I have to admit that I’m falling back more times than I’m standing up but it is improving. The team seem happy with my progress and this week we have even been able to start discussing a roadmap to my getting home๐Ÿ™‚

On Thursday during my gym session I encountered the down I mentioned at the beginning. I was continuing with the seated to stand and the balance exercises when I felt I needed to adjust my foot position for balance. I went to move my right foot and next thing I knew I was down, falling heavily on my left arm. The team were marvellous and rushed straight to me whilst ushering everyone from the immediate area. A mixture of shock , pain and embarrassment washed over me and I couldn’t help but cry. As I said the team were fantastic and while I tried to shake it off by making my way back to my chair and then transferring myself to and from it and back to my bed, it left me badly shaken and quite tearful.

My left arm had took the brunt and was badly bruised ( along with my pride) but an X-ray showed there was no internal damage. I appear to have survived my first fall reasonably unscathed which is encouraging as I’m sure it is just the first of many to come. Apparently training on how to get up from a fall was planned for the coming weeks. Trust me to be jumping ahead!

This morning the team came to check on me and to see if I was up for more gym work. We decided to have another go at the same exercises as yesterday but this time the team formed a close guard around me in case of another fall. I’m happy to report that I managed to stay upright and successfully completed two rounds of exercises. I think that will do for this week๐Ÿ˜“

Comments

  1. You’re really doing so well, keep at it you will be home where you belong soon thinking of you xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesssssss mate!!!!! I have no other words ๐Ÿฅฐ๐Ÿฅฐ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow your doing amazing, excellent to see your progress X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those magic words, getting home.......the way you're progressing, it won't be too long. Amazing Allison. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. We all find ourselves stumbling or falling, but it takes courage and strength to get back up n battle on, and you me luvly are proving to have loads of both, sooo proud of you xx๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿฆพ๐Ÿ’œ✨

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Allison, no funny slaver from me on this one chic. What an improvement by you, 50 metres ๐Ÿ‘. Falling I guess is good in a way cos you know you'll get back up (just don't break anything๐Ÿ™„). You're not missing too much out in the world, it's all gone to shite, keep focusing on getting better and getting back home to my amigo. Take care, love from King Slonzirelli and Anita xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm literally bursting with pride you are just awesome mean that sincerely
    You getting the job of throwing the hoops when we go to the fairground prizes guaranteed
    Keep going and as our haze says we all stumble and fall but it's the getting back up that matters soooo proud of you and so happy for you ๐Ÿ’•๐ŸŽ‰keep going ๐Ÿ’ช๐Ÿคธ‍♀️xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW, I've got to say you have come on leaps and bounds Alison my friend since I saw the last video. I really don't know where you get that strength and determination from. All I know is its just within you and I knew you would do it and I've got to say the team down there are fantastic and so glad that David pushed to get you there. Keep going my love your doing ever so well. Love and hugs , Anita xxx

    ReplyDelete

  9. Steve Toward
    I have lost my rbtk due to infection i had amputation in 2018 28th i thought i was doing well but ive just had 3 weeks in hospital with seriouse ear in fection, i am struggliing to walk again, but you my dear have given me hope to get off my arse and go for it, so on behalf of my famly thank you and good luck with everything xx steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Steve. I was so touched by your comment. The blog helps me immensely but the thought that it has helped someone else is truly heartwarming . Good luck and stay safe ๐Ÿ™‚

      Delete
  10. You are an inspiration Mrs... Keep up the great work. Home is a great focus xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

June - October 2023

Day 1. 16th of November 2020